These 5 Steps Helped Me Stop Feeling Like A Helpless Victim Of Asthma

I was diagnosed with asthma at age nine. I never thought that I could do something about it except go to the doctor and refill my preventative inhaler and my rescue inhaler. I truly believed this was the normal routine for a person with asthma until I stopped getting relief from my inhalers. Around Thanksgiving 2011 I was struggling terribly with my asthma. Wheezing, chest tightness, and panic were daily occurrences. I would be puffing away on my inhalers to help ease the pain but it was only helpful for about an hour. I was scared. Thirty two years old and my lungs feel useless.

That week I was in the doctor's office again. We were talking about my symptoms and then we got on the topic of food triggers. I started telling him that I had noticed some connection between certain foods and asthma flare ups to which he replied "hmm, that's interesting." But for me the cartoon light bulb went off over my head! I screamed at myself inside my head "why don't I stop eating those foods!"
The doctor sent me on my way with another prescription that I filled but never used. I left his office with an adrenaline rush. I was in control. I was going to stop eating those foods immediately, but I knew I could do more than that.
I sat down at my kitchen table, fired up the laptop, and started a self-evaluation. I started listing the things that I could control that would have impact and sustainability in controlling my asthma. I used a back to basics approach and kept it as simple as possible.
Here are the top 5 steps to obliterate asthma:
1. Mindset change
This was not the life wanted and I was no longer going to accept it. I realized for the first time that I truly could make choices that would obliterate my asthma. If you really grab a hold of this mindset it is liberating!
2. Minimize or completely stop eating foods that can trigger asthma
Foods that contain refined sugar, refined white flour, and dairy are the big ones on my hit list.
3. Eat more vegetables, fruits, herbs, and spices that are known to prevent inflammation.
Spinach, romaine lettuce, parsley, celery, kale, apples, ripe bananas, chia seeds, aloe, garlic, ginger root, turmeric, and clove bud are known to help fight asthma
4. Drink more water.
I'm talking H2O not flavored water, juice, or tea. Real water! I want to emphasize this because it was so simple that I didn't do it for a long time. I can think of days when I never had one glass of real water. There are entire books and websites devoted to the topic of drinking water, so don't miss this one!
5. Stop mouth breathing.
The nose is specifically designed for breathing. It warms, moisturizes, and filters the air that enters our lungs.
Now my inhalers sit on a shelf collecting dust. I have more energy, I'm relaxed, and I'm not afraid of asthma. Making simple changes that have big impact and that can be sustained are critical to taking control and obliterating asthma.
Have you ever thought,  "What can I do to get rid of asthma?"

I suffered for years with asthma. Late night trips to the hospital for breathing treatments, carrying two inhalers, trying different prescriptions, and waking up in the middle of the night in a panic trying to catch my breathe.