We Are Not Intolerant To Gluten


I met Clive Lawler, many years ago in India and since then we have always been in contact, both in person, while traveling the same path, and electronically. I was then present and involved in many of the events he describes in his auto biography. A few years ago, as a result of my interest in his work about food's long fermentation, he sent me copies of his books that I read with attention and curiosity, but without being particularly involved in the subject. I was feeling fine, I ate everything according to my chosen diet, and the information Clive shared was simply a potential data stored in my memory.


Time after, it happened that I began having difficulties in digesting bread, pasta and pizza to the point of reducing the consumption of those products up to almost eliminating them from my table. I thought I had intolerance to gluten, due to the excessive intake of cereals, but all analysis stated that my health was perfect. I relaxed and adapted to the new situation by increasing the use of foods free of that protein.

Last year, a dear friend of mine told me about her life's adventures resulting from her son's celiac disease. That triggered the memory of the information contained in Clive's book and I decided to read it again to see how far we could push it with the instructions and directions contained therein. This time I was taken and got involved. What Clive communicates is logical, makes sense and is an understanding that is already present in the culture and food traditions of the whole world. It is so simple as to be obvious.

I decided to translate the book and began, at the same time, with my own baking experiments. Now I find myself eating a lot of bread, wanting more of it because it's delicious and makes me happy, and I like preparing it at home having fun to put my hands in the dough. I still have heaviness and difficulty in digesting commercial bread and pasta, and before venturing into a colourful and yummy-looking pizza, I always ask how long the dough fermented.

As for the manuscript's translation, I tried to preserve as much as possible the author's style, who likes to express himself in a rather colourful language, at times, and with long sentences, most of the time. I must confess that I was moved while reading and translating all the feedbacks at the end of the book, and I cherish the hope that my translation work can be enriched with many more feedbacks coming from these shores, in addition to those of our friends of the continent below. Happy reading.

Dr. Andrea Scarsi is a metaphysician devoting his life to sharing the supreme spiritual and physical wellbeing through meditation, vegetarianism and slow food at large. He's based in Italy and moves around the world when invited to deliver speeches or leading workshops. You are welcome to check out one of his websites where he indicates simple and everyday ways to reach your happy inner self, through a slow food diet, at: A Slooow Bread Gospel where he provides a number of advices and slow food recipes.