DODGERS GAG

Dodgers "manager" Dave Roberts outsmarted himself by leaving the terrible Joe Blanton in to give up a grand slam tonight after walking the bases full intentionally.

My guess is that Roberts believed all the sportwriter BS written about what a genius he is.

All I know is that having Joe Blanton pitch with the game on the line is a gas-can move. Not sure what he's saving the other pitchers for....

Here's what happened in the bottom of the 8th per mlb.com --

 

Sure enough, the Cubs answered in their half. Ben Zobrist doubled off Joe Blanton, and one out later, Jason Heyward was intentionally walked. Blanton got Javier Baez to fly out, and Chris Coghlan was intentionally walked to load the bases. Montero then drove an 0-2 slider into the right-field bleachers for a 7-3 lead, and his first career postseason home run. Fowler followed with his blast.
"This is what I'm playing for right now," Montero said. "I try to take full advantage of whatever at-bats I get, and that's what I said at the end of the year to [manager] Joe [Maddon] -- I never got used to pinch-hitting, but I'm trying to get better because even though I'm not playing, I'm working hard to become a better pinch-hitter. And if you give me opportunities to pinch-hit, I feel like I can help the team from the bench in the playoffs. And sure enough, today I helped the team."